Release Notes for JMRI 4.15.8 release
Date: June 15, 2019
From: Bob Jacobsen
Subject: Test Release 4.15.8 of JMRI/DecoderPro is available for download.
This is a test release. Please post a note if you encounter any new or old bugs! And please back up your JMRI files before installing this, in case you want to go back to an earlier version.
This is the (hopefully) the last in a series of test releases. We expect this series to end in the next JMRI production release during early Summer 2019. (See the tentative release schedule)
Update From Older JMRI Versions
If you are currently using JMRI 4.9.6 or earlier, we strongly recommend that you update to JMRI 4.12 and make sure that's running OK before updating to this test release. There have been a number of changes in serial port support, panel file format and configuration options since those earlier releases, and moving to the stable JMRI 4.12 release is a good way to work through any possible problems.
If you are currently using JMRI 4.7.3 or earlier on Linux or macOS (Windows doesn't need this), you must update to JMRI 4.12 and carrying out the migration process described in the JMRI 4.12 release note before updating to this release.
Known problems with this release
New warnings for this release:
- Since JMRI 4.15.7 In some cases, existing C/MRI, TMCC, Oaktree, and Maple users might have to reset the connection rate in the preferences before a serial connection will work with this version. You only have to do this once, and only if the connection doesn't start up OK after updating from an earlier JMRI version. In that case, open the Preferences, go to the Connection pane, check the box for Advanced Preferences so they're visible, set the baud rate (connection speed) to some other value, then set it back to the correct one (this is so JMRI sees a change and stores it properly), then Save and restart. For example, if you want your C/MRI serial line to run at 19.200, you should open the Preferences, change the speed selection (in Advanced Preferences) to 9,600 then back to 19,200, then save your preferences and restart.
Older warningsSee the JMRI 4.14 release note for more warnings predating the 4.15 development series. These may be relevant to you if you're updating from an earlier version.
- Since JMRI 4.15.7 The version of the JSON protocol used for JMRI web access has been bumped to version 5.0 due to backwards incompatible changes to make different JSON objects more internally consistent and to accomodate the ability to remove some objects. See the JSON Version History for more details. Specifically, due to underlying changes in the Operations web access, train manifests will need to rebuilt before web access to train manifests works.
- Since JMRI 4.15.6 Remembering the location and size of layout panels created and maintained using Layout Editor, Panel Editor, Control Panel Editor, and Switchboard Editor is no longer dependent on saving the panel. The location and size values are retained using the same processes used by other JMRI windows. This makes the window management behavior consistent. To continue using the old behavior, go to Preferences >> Display and enable Use old location and size logic for editor panels.
- Since JMRI 4.15.6
Starting in JMRI 4.15.6, Memories
must have valid system names of the form "IM" folllowed by something.
"IM123" and "IMEAST" are both valid.
The system name "IM", all by itself, has never been valid, but JMRI
will now be enforcing that:
- You won't be able to create a memory with that name via the Memory table or scripts
- If you have that name in a panel file, an error will be logged and the panel file won't load. You'll have to remove it from he file or rename it in the file before loading it.
- Since JMRI 4.15.5
The handling of Turnout system names has been updated
to be (more, hopefully completely) consistent with the
Specifically, case now (generally) matters in system names:
- You can now have an internal turnout named "ITsome lower case name".
- But note you can no longer refer to "ITSOME LOWER CASE NAME" or "ITSome LoWeR cAse Name" and get the same one.
- Since JMRI 4.15.4 The calculation of Turnout Addresses for the Direct DCC Accessory Command ("a" command) mode has been fixed (commands are now sent to the correct accessory address rather than 4 less than the nominated hardware address). For pre-existing panels, changes will need to be made to either the actual decoder address or the panel. If help is required, ask on the jmriusers group.
- Since JMRI 4.15.3 The prefix that identifies a layout connection should be a single letter, like "N" or "L", or a letter and some digits, like "K2" or "D3". Some older systems used to have longer "legacy system prefixes" like "DX", "DCCPP", "DP", "MR", "MC", "PI", and "TM". Those legacy system prefixes will now cause JMRI to issues a warning at startup. In this release, JMRI will still work with those prefixes, but they will need to be migrated to the proper form soon; JMRI 4.17.1 and later will require that this have been fixed. Therefore, this warning can't be suppressed without migrating the prefix in the connection configuration (and any associated panel files and scripts). If you're getting this warning and therefore need to do that migration, migration page.
- Since JMRI 4.11.4
There are issues with the Pi-SPROG One command station operation. A number of workarounds should be applied:
- Do not turn on the track power until the power supply to the Pi-SPROG ONE is turned on
- Do not enable extra debugging through default.lcf, nor open the system console window
- Do not open the SPROG console window
- Disable power conversion (CV 29) in all locos
- If connecting via VNC (or similar), setup the screen layout before turning on the track power
Download links:Please note that the download links in this and future JMRI releases link to Github servers. People are welcome to distribute the download files further via other websites, etc. If you want to check that you've received original, unmodified versions, please check the files against the checksums shown below.
- OS X / macOS: https://github.com/JMRI/JMRI/releases/download/v4.15.8/JMRI.4.15.8+R6d09260.dmg
- Windows: https://github.com/JMRI/JMRI/releases/download/v4.15.8/JMRI.4.15.8+R6d09260.exe
- Linux: https://github.com/JMRI/JMRI/releases/download/v4.15.8/JMRI.4.15.8+R6d09260.tgz
Changes since Test release 4.15.7:The list of included commits is available from our GitHub code repository.
- Improve the sequence of messages used when programming with the Hornby Elite
- Update some node identification information
New / Updated decoder definitions
- Fix FN ditch light
- When an edge connector or end bumper does not have an attached track segment, creating a context menu fails with a NPE. This prevents deleting the EC or EB using the Delete option in the context menu. The EB or EC can be deleted by adding a track segment and then the context menu works.
- Fixed problem with dragging in Control Panel Editor
- Fixed an issue where null could be returned for some information (from 4.15.7)